A new smoky treat has just been added to the madrona line of products! We're excited to announce the arrival of Madrona Smoked Sugar!
For the inauguration of this sweet offering, we teamed up with our good friend Steven C. Jones to develop some fun ways to use this sugar. Steven is the Executive Chef at Duck Soup, the iconic San Juan Island restaurant. We got to meet him inside the fairytale-esque kitchen where he is known for creating sophisticated Northwest cuisine.
First off, a little about the sugar. We take organic cane sugar and cold smoke it over two days with island grown Madrona branches. Through this delicate process of constant stirring and attention, the sugar becomes coated with a unique smoky resin. Caramely with notes of bonfire, the end result is like a barbecued dessert. Crunchy, smoky and sweet, it's a playful flavor to use for all sorts of sweet and savory dishes.
We're excited to share this new product with you! Check out Steven's recipe for Smoky Berry Meringue and follow it up with a cup of Bonfire Coffee!
Smoky Berry Meringue
4 large egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 cup Madrona Smoked Sugar
2 cups of your favorite berries (sliced strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.)
4 Tbs Madrona Smoked Sugar (or to taste)
Flower petals as garnish
- Whip egg whites in a large bowl on medium speed until smooth.
- Add cream of tartar. Continue mixing on high speed until medium peaks form.
- Turn down speed, then slowly add 1 Tbs of sugar at a time until incorporated. Once all the sugar is added, increase speed to high again and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Place little dollops on parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour. Then turn off the oven and let sit for an additional hour.
- When meringues come out of the oven, toss the berries with the Madrona Smoked Sugar and place a spoonful or two of the mixture on top of each meringue. Garnish with edible flower petals and serve right away.
Coffee after dinner always seems so elegant. Especially paired with a Smoky Berry Meringue. We're in love with adding a spoonful (or two) of the Madrona Smoked Sugar to our steaming mugs. The smoked sugar adds a robust depth of flavor to the coffee and reminds us of brewing a pot over a bonfire. Mmmm!
Steven enjoying a bite of the Smoky Berry Meringue...